Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thursday, 10/8/09: Recovery Day One

There are no throat pics for this long, long, day. We didn't bring a camera w/flash to the hospital.
I have sleep apnea so they wanted to keep me overnight in case my throat swelled too much and blocked my airway. My wife stayed too, in a chair by my bed... There was no sleep there. We lay there in the room with the O2 monitor beeping away and every time I dropped off to sleep the alarm would go off as O2 levels dropped... Beep beep beeeeeeeep!
But there was Jello. And ice chips. And orange popsicles. And no sleep.

Sleep is a mixed blessing anyway... when you're sleeping, you are not drinking water, you are probably breathing through your mouth, and because of these things, your throat is drying out. OUCH.

Did I mention the Percocet?

I found a video of the procedure online. It is really interesting. If you want to see it go here and scroll down for the link to the video. There is one of Coblation technique (what I had) and another of Scapel-Snare Cautery technique (old school).

Ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment