Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday, 10/13/09: Day 6

Morning throat pic...dried out when I fell asleep... Excruciating pain.


Evening throat pic ... after a day of fluids... strong but manageable pain


When I woke up this morning, it was the worst throat pain I have had yet. Ear pain was also present.

6:30: I took my pain meds. I felt no effect from them, not after an hour, not after four hours. I tried to drink my shake (Ice and protein drink) with a little coffee to keep awake, but it was very irritating to my throat. Two sips, spat them out, back to room temp water and jello. The thing is, my throat has to stay moist. All I could do was lie in my chair, drink room temperature water, wearing my ice collar. Ice chips were too irritating to my throat, so no Otter Pops either.

10:30: I took my second pain med dose. By the time it kicked in around 11:00, the pain started to dissipate and it was back to being manageable. All day long my throat felt very sensitive to cold water - I still could not drink it. I had jello. It was the only thing that soothed my throat, that and room temperature water.

2:30: I tried applesauce with my meds. It was too acidic and it burned. Back to jello and a protein shake. I tried a few swigs of apple juice (ok) and a swig of pear juice (ok for burning but it left a weird coating on my throat).

4:30: I was able to go back to crushed ice. The pain level by this time was bearable. Just to be clear, the pain pills do not get rid of the pain. They just make it tolerable enough (most of the time) so I can do more than lie on the chair.

6:30: crushed ice, water, pain meds, might have some thinned, soupy mashed potatoes later. We'll see... maybe some low sodium chicken broth.

10:30, then 2:30 a.m. ... more pain meds, more jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment